Thursday, August 16, 2007

Ford The River!!!


Well today was my first real Houstonian experience. Tropical storm Erin (insert menacing music here) hit Houston hard. Specifically the part of Houston I needed to get around, you know, like to my CONDO!! Where I LIVE!!! My family had come down for my white coat ceremony (more on that later), and my dad and I were trying to get back to my place from Ikea (where I bought a very difficult to put together bookcase. Again, more on that later) and EVERY road to my condo was flooded. Luckily my dad has a Honda Pilot and I did probably the most badass thing I've done in a while. The road where we were was to0 flooded to go through and we were on a one way side of the light rail. So we hopped the curb, crossed over the rail lines, and got back on the other side to head back. It was super cool. I could never do that in my little sports car. I now want an SUV. I NEED and SUV. I NEED TO FORD THE RIVER DAMMIT!

Ok and now the scary. The rain had let up, we ate lunch, water had receded pretty much everywhere, except the way I chose to try to get back to the condo! My car is small, and cute, and the check engine light used to come on anytime I even thought about going through a puddle. There really wasn't room to turn around so I called my dad (who was right behind me) and since I saw another car get through, we decided to FORD THE RIVER!!! It was the scariest thing I've done in a long time. I just tried to keep going. If there is a strategy to getting through water, PLEASE tell me. Here was mine. PRAY! And just keep going. My instinct was totally to ease up on the gas but I just thought, if my wheels keep spinning, maybe they'll work like propellers and get me through. I just prayed and prayed and the water was all splashing up on my hood!!! I thought I was going to die! (ok not die, the water wasn't moving, my family was behind me in their car, but still!) It is seriously God that got me through. I cried. Just a little. It was scary and I lived. It felt good. I like living, and I like my condo. :) And I like Oregon Trail if you didn't notice. Here's a pic of the bayou by my place. (Ok it is the Bayou, but not exactly where I live, and it isn't from today, but I SWEAR it looked like this, but with lots of rushing water)


Now to the white coat ceremony! YAY!!! It was really exciting and very nice. I think mine fits funny but that is ok. It was really feel good, we got to sign the student honor code thing and we took the Hippocratic Oath (modified, but still super awesome since physicians for over 2000 years have been saying it). I think people sign things and take oaths lightly now, but an oath is really really serious and when you violate it, it really puts a mark on your honor as a person. And THAT is a big deal. :) At least to me.

Ok that's all for now. Retreat is tomorrow and I have to get to bed so that I can wake up and finish packing, and get there in time so that they don't leave me!

No comments: