Thursday, April 12, 2007

Memories....

So I woke up this morning, checked the online news like I usually do, and I was completely upset to find that the one and only Kurt Vonnegut has passed away. I am really sad about this. Kurt Vonnegut was very cool. I even did my author project in high school over him. It was a good project. I got an A on it. Yeah he was quite liberal, but the way he wrote, what he wrote about, it was just amazing. Plus it was funny. This guy dealt with really really crappy things in a funny way. You didn't have to agree with what he was saying to appreciate it, and it really made you look at your own point of view on the issues he addressed. Also did I mention, he was funny? I appreciated that. Let's look at some quotes from dear Mr. Vonnegut...(some from books, some he said... you know...)

"We could have saved the Earth but we were too damned cheap. "

"This is a tale of a meeting of two lonesome, skinny, fairly old white men on a planet which was dying fast."

"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.
"

"If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph:

THE ONLY PROOF HE NEEDED
FOR THE EXISTENCE OF GOD
WAS MUSIC"

I really don't read much, but his passing makes me want to go out and just grab one of the books and enjoy it the same way I did when I first started reading him in high school. It would get my head out of the med school world a little bit too :) Sure the last three books I read are all medically related... what of it? I really wish I was better at writing and that I could say more eloquently how I appreciate Kurt Vonnegut and his books, but I would only butcher it. Just go read some of the news articles about him. They put it better than I ever could.

In happier news, I go to Houston tomorrow! YAY! I am having pains of middle school though. Will they like me? Will I like them? Will I have anyone to sit by at lunch? What if I can't find my class? Oh c'mon everyone worries about that. Don't they? It is funny because I am staying with a friend already in school there, and I have about 3 people I know that are starting. Plus I'm still praying for the ones that are waitlisted that I want to come desperately to UTH. I sure hope I get used to the idea of living in Houston. It is such a big city! Luckily the friend I am staying with is adventurous and knows a lot about Houston and is going to show me around. I think it will be fun. Minus the traffic. Well I have biochem homework to attend to. I can't wait to write about Welcome Weekend. WHOOP! I am excited. :)

No comments: