Monday, May 7, 2007

You learn something new everyday

As I was watching the news this morning, at 6am, waking up so I could take my EIGHT AM biochem final (it went well, thanks), they said the president is having a white tie dinner for the Queen of England. What in the world is a white tie dinner?!?!? <-- I asked myself. Sure we've all heard of black tie events (ooooo fancy!), but white tie?? So I googled it and investigated. Turns out, as only the British can create, white tie dinners are EVEN FANCIER than black tie. There is even a strict dress code for what should be worn! Here, from wikipedia, is the dress code.

Formal evening dress is more strictly regulated than other forms of dress, and properly consists of:

  • Black tailcoat with silk (ribbed or satin) facings, sharply cut-away at the front
  • Black trousers with a single stripe of satin or braid in the US or two stripes in Europe
  • White stiff-fronted shirt, with cotton pique dickie, boiled or heavily starched
  • White stiff wing collar (attached to the shirt with collar buttons)
  • White bow tie (usually cotton pique)
  • White low-cut waistcoat (usually cotton pique, matching the bow tie and dickie)
  • Black silk stockings
  • Black patent leather pumps or shoes
WOW! I really want to see Senor presidente in patent leather pumps. I also like that patent leather pumps are a clickable link in wikipedia. Just fun. So this white tie affairs looks uncomfortable, but fun. I mean you get to meet the queen! If only I could meet Prince William (he's single!!!!). So yay, and thank you England for sending people over here, so that eventually I could be born. :)
Swanky, swanky outfit


No comments: